Sunday, January 4, 2009

Many exciting adventures

Okay, okay. I know what all of you have been thinking. Why doesn't Megan update her blog every week or in some cases everyday. Let me tell you that I have been busy doing my job at the International Guest House (IGH), relaxing, traveling and doing other things. I have not updated my blog since November 9, 2008 and a lot has happened since that time. It has almost been two months since I last blogged. I will give you a summary of some of the things that have happened during the past month. I will post some pictures after I give you a summary of what happened. 


-In the middle of November, I met some famous people. It was really awesome to meet them. Did you actually think that I really did meet famous people? If you did- you are wrong. Gotcha! I actually went to Madame Tussuad's Wax Museum with the other staff on a staff outing. It was interesting to see all the wax figures. 


-On a day off, I went to the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum. It was really interesting, but at the same time depressing to see the display of what happened during this time. 


-Malinda, a friend I met while I studied in Ecuador, came to D.C. to visit me for a day. We spent the day at the American History Museum. 


-On another day off, I went to the Natural History Museum. I explored the new Ocean Hall that they opened during the Fall of 2008.


-On yet another day off, I went to look at the National Christmas Tree and other Christmas trees (in front of The White House), the Ice Skating Rink and the Christmas Display at the U.S. Botanic Garden. On that same day I think I saw Barney (a Scottish Terrier), the President's dog. I was in the park behind The White House and this lady and a dog (a Scottish Terrier) started walking towards me. Before this, I had seen a lot of people exiting The White House because they were done with their tour. When the lady and dog walked by me, some people that come out of The White House said "There goes Barney", or something like that. I swear that it was the President's dog. I did get a picture of the dog, but from far, far away. I didn't want to be paparazzi and take a picture when they were very close to me. Oh well!!


-On Christmas Day, I left Washington, D.C. and took the train to Ohio to be with my family. I arrived in Ohio at 1:30 Friday morning. Friday morning my family (my dad, mom, my sister and I) had Christmas together. Friday was the annual Snyder Family Get Together. On Saturday, we had another Christmas, then we went shopping. It was good to see family and spend some time with them. 


-On Sunday, December 28, Mom and Dad drove me back to Washington, D.C. Mom and Dad stayed until Tuesday morning. Since I had the day off on Monday, December 29, Mom, Dad and I visited many of the sites in D.C. We went to the U.S. Botanic Garden, walked around The Capitol, went to Arlington National Cemetery, walked around the Washington Monument, saw the National Christmas Tree and The White House, went to the Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial and the FDR Memorial. We were all very tired afterwards because we walked a lot and saw many different things. Then, we ate dinner at Macaroni Grill, which is a very nice restaurant in Silver Spring, MD. 


-That night at tea time (each night the IGH has tea time at 9 p.m.), I met a man named Guillermo Aguilar from Chile. I got to talk Spanish with him and he asked me  a couple of questions when he didn't know certain words in English. Guillermo is going to be in the United States for two months while he is studying English. In some instances, I acted as a translator for Guillermo when he didn't know what people were saying in English. I was very happy that I got to use my Spanish and talk with him.



President elect Barack Obama and I


George Clooney and I


Julia Roberts and I


Franklin D. Roosevelt and I


American History Museum


Julia Child's Kitchen at the American History Museum


Oscar the Grouch at the American History Museum


The Ocean Hall at the Natural History Museum


Some poinsettias at the U.S. Botanic Garden


A Christmas Tree at the U.S. Botanic Garden


The Indiana Christmas Tree


From afar: A lady walking Barney, (the President's dog), in between two posts


The National Christmas Tree in front of The White House


A close up view of the National Christmas Tree


Guillermo y yo



2 comments:

Malinda said...

your hair is getting so long!! i need to send you pictures (i'm sorry for slacking with that task).

i'm so glad you were able to spend time with your family.

Dustin Combs said...

Well it looks as thought you have been quite busy. I hope all is going well for you and thanks for updating your blog when you have the chance.