Monday, March 23, 2009

Snow Day in DC

I know people don't want to hear or think about snow when it is now Spring. March 2 was the day that D.C. got a lot of snow. I was supposed to have that day off, but that didn't happen. The night before I had decided what I was going to do on my day off. I was going to go to the National Postal Museum which is by Union Station. That didn't quite happen!!


The night before (March 1), I kept looking to see if it had started snowing yet. The weather forecast and the newspaper had said that DC was supposed to get a lot of snow on Monday, March 2. We were supposed to get about 5 inches of snow. When I went to bed, there was still no snow and it hadn't started snowing yet. However, when I woke up in the morning, there was about 6 or 7 inches of snow and it was still snowing. I wanted to get out of the house, but I wasn't able to because the roads were bad. The area schools had delays and the government buildings also opened 2 hours later than they normally did. Also, some of our guests didn't leave until the government buildings reopened. 


I bundled up and went outside to walk around and take some pictures. It was hard to walk on the sidewalks because they hadn't been cleared off. Also, some parts of the road hadn't been cleared off. I walked to the entrance of Rock Creek Park and the wind was blowing the snow everywhere. Later, I saw a man cross- country skiing down our street. I wish that I had had snow boots with me because there was a lot of snow on the sidewalks. However, my shoes and socks did not get that wet. I took a lot of pictures and then went back inside. 


After lunch, Ruth decided that she wanted to go outside and make a snowman. Ruth and I started to build a snowman, however we decided to make a snow woman. The snow was hard to pack as it was very fluffy snow. The name that we gave our snow woman that we made was Martha. As you can see in the picture, we used a pot as Martha's hat, tree branches as her arm and mouth, parts of the pine tree as her eyebrows and other flowers and plants as her eyes, necklace and her bouquet. 




Ruth and I with Martha, the snow woman that we made


Me all bundled up


A tree covered in snow on our street

Our street after it had stopped snowing



The entrance to Rock Creek Park




A guy cross-country skiing on our street





The International Guest House after it had stopped snowing



Sorry for the lack of blogging. i think the last post that I posted was on February 2. The guest house has been very busy and other things have happened during that time. We will be getting busier at the International Guest House as the Cherry Blossom Festival approaches. I hope to do another blog soon about my day off when I actually did go to the National Postal Museum and the zoo. I also will post pictures of the Cherry Blossoms when they start to bloom.


1 comment:

Malinda said...

this snow made me get stuck in philly!!