Saturday, August 22, 2009

Things that have happened since April 2009

I feel as though I have become an official blog slacker. I have not been doing a good job of informing people of what has been happening in my life. A lot has happened since April. I have still been at the International Guest House. I only have 4 days left at the International Guest House. I don't really know how I feel about that. I am leaving the guest house earlier than I expected because I got a job. I will be an ESL Paraprofessional at Wawasee High School. I am excited and nervous about this new opportunity in my life.


Since April, I used both of my weeks of vacation. For one week of vacation, I was a volunteer with the children's convention at the Mennonite Church USA Convention in Columbus, OH. That was a really fun week because I got to see a lot of people that I went to college with and other people that I had met before in different places. Also, it was a fun week because my mom, dad and sister also volunteered with the children's convention. That was something that my family (the four of us) got to do together before Ingrid, my sister got married.


I took my second week of vacation for my sister's wedding. It was good to be together with family during that week. However, it was nerve-racking as I was the maid of honor. I flew home on Tuesday, July 21 and was home until July 28. While I was home I had an eye appointment, a dentist appointment and a haircut. I had all of those appointments because I was not going to be coming home until the middle of September. I went shopping with Ingrid and I got some new clothes. The Elkhart County Fair was going on and of course I had to go to it while I was home. :)

On Friday, we had the wedding rehearsal and had dinner at Essenhaus. On Saturday, we had to wake up early to get our hair done so we would be ready to go to the church to get pictures taken. I forget what time we got to the church in the morning, but it seemed that we took pictures the majority of the time until the wedding. I was so nervous during the wedding that I thought I was going to faint, but luckily I didn't faint. Then, we had the reception after the wedding. The beginning of the reception was nerve-racking for me as I had to give the maid of honor speech to Ingrid and Bryan. I was glad when that was over, as I don't like talking in front of large groups. We didn't get home until 6:30 p.m. It was a very long and fun day.


On Sunday, July 26, we went to church. Then, we went down to Syracuse, IN where my aunt, uncle and cousins have a place on the lake. We relaxed and celebrated my uncle's birthday by having cake. We also went on a short boat ride around the lake. It was a nice day for a boat ride.


Another exciting thing happened was when I got to attend The Legg Mason Tennis Tournament that was right across the street at Rock Creek Park. We just had to walk over to the park. We didn't have to worry about driving or public transportation. I got to see different tennis players from different parts of the world. I got to go watch tennis two different nights (Wednesday, August 6 and Thursday, August 7). I went to the games with another volunteer from the guest house. We had a volunteer who stayed at the house and gave us free tickets for Wednesday night. We got tickets for Thursday night from a freelance photographer that also stayed at the guest house. It was pretty exciting to be at the tennis tournament. Among the players that I got to see play tennis were: Juan Martin Del Potro from Argentina, Lleyton Hewitt from Australia, Juan Carlos Ferrero from Spain, Tommy Haas from Germany, Ivo Karlovic from Croatia, Tomas Berdych from Czech Republic, Sam Querrey from USA, John Isner from USA and Andy Roddick from USA. There were some pretty close games when they had to play for a tiebreaker to determine who won the game. The weather was not that hot during the games and cooled off at night. David Gregory, an American television journalist, was watching the tennis games on Wednesday night. I took a lot of pictures and will post some on this post. It was so awesome to be at the tennis games and watch famous players play tennis.






Me before my sister's wedding


John Isner


John Isner vs. Tomas Berdych



Ivo Karlovic vs. Andy Roddick


Andy Roddick serving in a different game


Andy Roddick after winning his 500th game


Sam Querrey vs. Andy Roddick


Andy Roddick


Juan Martin Del Potro drying off his racket



Lleyton Hewitt serving


Juan Carlos Ferrero vs. Tommy Haas

1 comment:

Malinda said...

1) I love your hair
2) I'm extremely jealous that you got see Andy Roddick play....
3) Miss you!