Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Arrived in D.C.

Hello everyone!! For those of you that don't know I am doing a year of service at the International Guest House in D.C. I arrived in D.C. on September 3, 2008. The train from Elkhart, IN to D.C. was very interesting and long. My train was supposed to get into D.C. at 1:30 p.m. instead it got in at 3 p.m. The host couple from the International Guest House (or IGH) met me at the train station (Union Station). Then, they wanted to go get maps at a building so we went and got the maps and then headed to the IGH. 
When we got to the IGH, I met the other volunteers that work there. They all are really nice. For the next couple of hours, I unpacked my suitcases and got things situated. Anyways, I have been here a week now and I am beginning to like D.C. I have done various things this past week. The week has been exciting and interesting. One day, I got trained on how to do the upstairs shift at the IGH. I have to be up at 7 a.m. to do that shift. I have been working that shift for the past week. One day, the fire alarm went off and another volunteer and I had to deal with that since the host couple was gone. This past Sunday, I went to Hyattsville Mennonite Church with the other volunteers. Afterwards, we ate at a restaurant called Noodles. I had a pesto dish and it was really good. Monday and Tuesday, I worked the upstairs shift again. Monday, I went into town with Salome (another volunteer) after we were both done working our shifts. 
Today was my day off and Salome and I saw several different things in the city. I am going to write about this tomorrow since I am tired and need to be up early in the morning. 

No comments: