Thursday, September 18, 2008

My room and the volunteers here at the IGH

I have my own room here at the International Guest House (IGH). It is a pretty nice sized room has two single beds, two chairs, a desk, a dresser, two night stands and a closet. It also has a window and when I look out the window I can see the house that is next to the IGH. I like my room because it is big enough for me. I think that it is bigger than some dorm rooms at college. However, I might get a new room when different people come to volunteer here at the IGH.  The following pictures are of my room here at the IGH. 


My desk and one of my chairs. The door is the door to my closet. 




A dresser and the door to the hallway



Both chairs and a bookshelf






Two single beds




My desk and another chair



The window in my room


Right now there is a total of five volunteers (that number is including me). I will tell you who the other volunteers here are at the IGH. The host couple is Wilbur and Helen Yoder from Wellman, Iowa. They are very nice and met me at the train station when I arrived here on September 3. They will have been here a total of 14 months and will be leaving at the beginning of November- when a new host couple is coming. Phyllis Hostetler is another volunteer. She is from Archbold, Ohio. I don't know how long she has been at the IGH. She has been here a number of different times. She was a volunteer here two years ago. She doesn't know when she is going to leave. Salome Tice is also a volunteer. She grew up in Panama and therefore she knows Spanish. Before she came to the guest house, she lived in Delaware. She is very nice and answers any questions I have about the city and the guest house. Salome will also be leaving at the end of October/beginning of November. I have enjoyed getting to know the other volunteers here at the IGH. They have all been so helpful and nice as I have been learning how to do the different jobs here at the IGH. However, I am realizing that I don't have much more time with them since they are all going to be leaving soon. I will try to post pictures of the staff a different day. Each month, we have a staff outing and hopefully I will be able to get a picture of us all during this time.  


I hope everyone enjoys this post. -Megan

3 comments:

Samantha said...

Stalker Megan, I need your help. There was an accident/house fire/field fire/something involving lots of emergency vehicles and a fire hose on Forest Rd. yesterday in Lansing. I can't figure out what it is. Can you help, I'm curious. :) It is in Lansing, MI. Thanks. I love you. :)

Malinda said...

Megita! I really hope that i'll be able to come visit you while I'm back on the east coast for a bit. you'll have to let me know what day you have off (if you get a day off).

miss you!

Randy said...

Hi Megan,
This is Uncle Buck. You have done a great job putting together this blog. The pictures are neat. Sounds like you are taking advantage of all the cultural sites that D.C. has to offer, while providing service to those folks stopping in at the guest house. I will be watching your next blog.
Randy